Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Is It Price Gouging or Not?

I don't like to get too political much anymore - for a lot of different reasons. But this a.m. one of the morning shows during my workout had the CEO of Exxon/Mobile for an interview regarding gas prices. This guy just lit my fuse and I had to vent. Here is a helpful little hint. If you deny something is the truth - deny it! You look like an idiot when you don't answer the question. Here is what everyone in America now thinks your evasive answers to the questions mean: "Yes - we are making spectacular profits off of doubling and tripling the price of gas by playing on people's fears. No we don't care if we put the economy into a recession. If goods are more expensive - at least we can afford things with our record breaking profit margins. Finally - no we do not have any intention changing things." You would have come off a lot better if you had declined to be interviewed in the first place. I might even have more respect for your character had you simply said "no comment." But don't give little propoganda sound byte speaches to avoid the questions. It screams out "dishonest."

3 comments:

Chet and Gini said...

I know what you mean - they would get further if they just acted like we would understand what they are saying - and it just as bad no matter what the issue or prespective. Some of the same people arguing that the oil companies are making too much money wanted to raise gas taxes so we would start conserving!

Missy said...

I'm sure your truck is gas friendly right? I put $67 in my Expedition yesterday and got 20 gallons of gas! Our summer vacation is going to be a lot more expensive than we anticipated but the gas in the RV is still cheaper than taking 5 kids by plane anywhere. Terry and I were trying to figure out the other day at what price does it need to get to before people can't drive themselves to work everyday. I drive 80 miles round trip. Sidebar; I'm also sick of the news comparing our prices to Europe's saying "at least we aren't paying $X like in Europe". Those blokse don't even need to drive so it can cost $10 a gallon there. It doesn't matter. (Stepping down from soapbox).

Katy said...

Argh... *shakes head in disgust*
I wouldn't mind so much if my job actually allowed me to ride my bike to work. As it is I can't in case important case managers and guardians of consumers see me all sweaty. In modern age it is unprofessional to emit sweat from pores. Why don't I powder my face white and wear a corset while I'm at it? I'm charging for gas expenses!