Saturday, October 14, 2006

Janesville/Camping




After our Watertown Visit, we trekked on down to Janesville to see the Dan & Linda & clan. Part of this trip was to pick up a camper we purchased from them. I grew up camping . . . Angie didn't. In fact, we have only camped one other time together - we had a tent, a wet dog, and a soaking rain that didn't let up for two days. Combine that with a campground without facilities - Angie swore never to camp again.

That is where Angie's longtime friend Linda comes in. You see - three years ago, I secretly told Linda's husband that he should give us the first call if they ever decided to sell their pop-up camper. That call came early this year. I said yes right away but Angie wasn't quite that easy. Linda made several calls and sent several emails to Angie convincing her that she would enjoy camping if she gave it a second chance and used a camper instead of a tent. Angie finally gave in and we purchased the camper and spent one night with Dan & Linda's family learning how to use it. We set up camp, started a fire, had sandwiches cooked over the fire and s'mores. The kids played together and had a good time. After her most recent camping experience, Angie's comment was -- "That wasn't that bad." I will take what I can get. We look forward to many years of camping in this new camper. Here in AZ, we are in a days drive of several national parks and great camp sites so there will be many weekends. I am also already planning some of the trips I took as a kid to places like Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National park.

Thanks Dan & Linda.

5 comments:

Missy said...

Yeah Angie! I wasn't camper before Terry either and I really love it! I am often the one finding the next spot! With 5 kids this is our only way to vacation so I needed to like it - and I love it! I bet Patrick had a blast.

Katy said...

Camping RULES!
such a great way to relax without the hassle of worrying about money and eating out. You'll get the hang of it!
patrick looks adorable. He'll get a head start in Cub scouts and Boy scouts if he chooses to be into that sort of thing

Mike and Annette said...

Mikey, my son. You are one lucky husband. Angie is a trooper to give it a second chance. I am glad that she did and that it went well. I would not trade one minute camping with you kids for all the hotel rooms in China. You are on the road to many wonderful memories. Even the bad camping days will be fun memories in the future. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Well my friend I told you it was a world of difference from tenting. ;) We sure had a awesome time (even though it was too short), but we are counting down till our next camping trip together only about 7 months out!!! Mike we will keep you in mind when we "upgrade" again. Sure do miss you & wish we were closer for more camping outings together. Take care & our love to you. The Schuhmachers

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add this to my comments, but I have to say I give a big high five to Patrick... I think he is the only one I know that can roast a pudgy pie sandwhich for the first time with his eyes covered!!! :) Dan & I thought that was the cutest!!!!!!!!!
Love you!